Friday, March 04, 2005

less fluff

And for you blog readers who want to read more than mind fluff, this in from Bookselling This Week. By way of explanation, I am putting together a small press to develop into something bigger in a few years when I have more freedom. The company, LakeShoreLit, has four phases: web presence, quarterly journals, publication of … say it with me… plot driven literary fiction… and ultimately writers workshops, possibly in conjunction with an independent bookstore, when I can get the financials figured out. The first phase starts whenever I get around to designing the site, or can convince my actually talented offspring to do it for me. The second phase begins as soon as I code the email into the site,(this weekend?) as I have decided to take a prototype of the journal to the appropriate arts council to see what kind of support I can get. I'll give you more details when I'm ready, but the RELEVANT information is that I've joined a myriad of organizations and get all kinds of interesting information in my email, most of which I don't keep up with (right now there are 117 pieces of unread email from the last three days alone, and none of it is spam. Ugh)(also why I love the distraction of personal mail … hint hint)

Patriot Act Battle Begins Anew
On Wednesday, March 9, Rep. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) is expected to hold a press conference in Washington, D.C., to announce that he is reintroducing the Freedom to Read Protection Act, legislation to amend Section 215 of the USA Patriot Act to protect the privacy of bookstore and library patrons. In advance of the reintroduction of Sanders' legislation, ABA is encouraging booksellers to send a letter to their members of Congress to urge them to support Sanders' legislation and to become a co-sponsor of the bill.
freedom to read

I think we all have an interest here, not just booksellers. Yes?

No comments: