Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Ah Camelot.

Texas is a place that people who are from other places try to define, but mostly, we don't get it. We don't understand the bigger than life attitude or open spaces or vast expanses of everything, whether oil fields or ranches or the hills or the cities. Let me rephrase that: I don't get it. I don't feel the need to make sense of everything, however.

I spent the weekend in Dallas, looking over yet another college campus. (finally agreed on this one).

Last night we spent in The Dome, atop the Reunion tower. It's been a long time since I was in a revolving restaurant and the boys thought it was fun. The twelve year old thought it would be cool to have various food stationed on the two foot ledge that moved by the table as the floor rotated. Older son remarked that it would be more fun to leave notes for pretty girls at tables along the window behind us on the circuit. Funny the things your kids pick up from you, isn't it….

In the hallway of the hotel there was a bigger than life photograph of JFK. It was taken at the airport on November 22, 1963.

The kids had no idea the assassination occurred in Dallas.

I wanted to confirm the date, and to do so went here Kennedy Assassination Home page I was surprised that " In the three-year period which followed the murder of President Kennedy and Lee Harvey Oswald, 18 material witnesses died"… and remembered my mother's fascination with the whole thing. I was pretty young, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself for not paying attention to those details, after all there were so many things in the news that we needed to filter in those days.

Even more circular images. What will I do with these?

No comments: