Saturday, March 27, 2004

growing things

This morning is being gentle with me today, the clouds are in motion, letting the sun peek through enough to keep the air warm, shading it enough to keep it cool. The scent of jasmine is heavy in the air, and there are enough birds to make company, but not enough noise to mar the perfection. The breeze pushes the fronds of the palms, grown so much now there is the sense that they have been here all along and it is only me that is out of place. I love how things grow here, fast and furious, as though there is only so much time and so much life that needs to be fit in. I think it is a good lesson to learn.


It was an interesting week.

~I moved a step closer to making a decision about the publishing company with research and conversations with someone who jumped into the field two years ago. The biggest obstacle right now is that I want to publish fiction. But fiction is the hardest area to get established in. My contact advised me to pair it with something commercial, at least until I get a reputation established. Commercial… genre work or non-fiction. Something else to think about.

~My doctor prescribed some good drugs for me last week…. Steroids. I've been dealing with a lot of pain from an old knee injury for about a month now, had the stress of last week pounding my emotions, and suddenly broke out in a terrible rash. I have very sensitive skin, and am used to rashes… keep a prescription on hand that usually kicks them right away, but I was out, and worried that the rash and joint pain were related. Well, okay, worried that the depression was a factor too.

I'd complain about the lack of intensive time with the dr, but the medicine she prescribed worked. Worked very well. I have to wonder how much of the stress was agitated by the lack of sleep. I confess to overdoing the first day because it feels so good to feel good.

It is a declining dose though, and as I wind down on the prescription, I am limping again. I suspect it is time to consider knee surgery. Yuck. But I am thriving on the lack of physical pain, which makes it easier to deal with the mental. Health is a complicated matter.

No comments: