Thursday, October 27, 2022

Cradles of the Reich by Jennifer Coburn. 4*

 

This is the story of the breeding program of the Aryan Race, and what happened to the participants.

I found it difficult to read this book, not because it was not well written--it was! But because it gave names and faces through its characters to atrocities that I knew about, but not in such a personal way.  That human beings could treat others in the way the Third Reich treated not only their enemies, but their own women devastated me.  The description of the horror of Kristallnacht, which always sickened me, was almost of a celebration... a party! and I'm sure those who participated felt that they were doing the right thing.
It is too reminiscent of current events, and I found myself having to take breaks. Fiction helps us understand reality, and this one broke my heart.
Four stars only because there are so many WW2 books.  I kept thinking...those poor girls. Those poor babies, Poor humanity. If you want yet another perspective of that awful time, read this book.

Thanks to NetGalley for the advanced copy. Thanks to NetGalley for the advanced copy. Publication October 11, 2022, by Sourcebooks Landmark.

 

No comments: