Friday, August 06, 2021

Golden Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

 

Elin Hilderbrand can always be counted on for contemporary fiction, with complex female characters and a great beach read. The characters in Golden Girl don't disappoint, though they are extremely privileged. I wasn't happy to begin the book reading from the point of view of Vivi, a ghost, because I feel that's been done so many times. 

Still, I enjoyed the book. I liked that the underlying mystery of the "narrators" death gave us a logical timeline. I liked that even in Nantucket, a place that has come to represent the American Ideal, issues of racism, sexism and abuse must be confronted. I think Elin Hildebrand acknowledged the issues, without hitting her readers too hard with them... we don't pick up a self-described beach read to rehash the issues we deal with in our regular lives.

 Golden Girl did exactly what a good summer book should. I look forward to the next one!

 

No comments: