Thursday, April 03, 2014

More for Poetry Month

 I'm trying to do a Poem a Day with Robert Lee Brewer's blog.  I'm not ordinarily a poet. Just playing with words.   Come and play too! 


 Call Me Back

It was like the sun had burst inside me,
light and laughter and joy combined.
Knowing, finally knowing
That it was you. Only you.

Leave a Message, the recording instructed
But after the beep, I pressed End Call
Because there are some words
That should never be spoken
 to a machine.


Journey

I bought my ticket with sleepless nights
Endless diapers and pureed squash
Skinned knees, broken hearts, lessons
For dance and art and baseball and science
and lessons in
Being kind
Telling the truth
Respecting others.

They gave me the receipt by growing up
Educated, good, contributing people
With jobs and houses and —lives.
“What will you do now?” They ask.
“Now you are free!” They say.
“Enjoy the world!” They tell me.
They think I don’t know how.
But I listened.  I will be kind
And respect their wishes, and tell the truth.
I’m off.  Farewell!

No comments: