Friday, September 23, 2005

The other side of the mirror

The other side of the mirror

High thin clouds banded like the rings of calcium building up in whirls of a seashell against the pale pink of the sky. The sun itself sparkled lemon, a yellow diamond where the softness of a pearl should have been. The sweet pastels calmed the torment of the night; when I listened closely, I could even hear the sea.

Yes, I watched the sunrise out my rearview mirror this morning, and wondered if I would write it here for you. So many images, so much stress, overwhelming emotions from one extreme to another.

I will write it, perhaps later tonight. I owe you that.

But for now, I will just say thank you to all who have expressed concern. We were in zone C for evacuation, mandatory evacuation as of Wednesday. As you all now know, the storm has shifted to the north a bit, and now they say it is okay to "shelter in place" if you didn't get out. Better than the highway situation.

It took 26 hours to make a 3.25 hour trip. Sadly, most of that was within the city. But we are safe in Austin, at my daughter's house.

The wind has diminished, and the tides have changed. More soon.

1 comment:

Chris Perridas said...

No one paints a sunrise picture like you do. Even in the midst of apocalypse, you see the morning beauty.