Wednesday, June 15, 2005

plain old summer heat

I've been neglecting this journal. Not intentionally, but it has historically been where I've written just before sleep, and frankly, this week sleep is on no schedule at all. I'm almost over the terrible sinus infection that disabled me earlier, but the allergies and the HEAT are keeping me inside, and thus my bio rhythms are all screwed up. Blah blah blah.

I am missing my Midwest summers. They get hot too, just not so thickly hot as it is here, nor for as long. Cooling off becomes a challenge, a game of sorts, of putting fans in just the right windows, wetting palms and feet and inner elbows. Sleeping nude with no blankets, staying up late because it is too hot to sleep. Here, it is all… artificial. Just dial the a/c to the temp you want it to be and voila! There is no reason to be uncomfortable.

Today I'm making sun tea out on the patio, and have promised myself time in the sun on a raft in the water, just to remember it is summer. Maybe it's because I'm all tied up with this age thing… I have a birthday coming up, but I'm so damned nostalgic these days. I want to make out at a drive in movie and feel the thrill of just one button unbuttoned… remember that? When just –that much- would make you feel so turned on you could just melt? Or am I the only one who ever has those conversations in my head? The little games where you tell your self… if he does .. x…. then I will do … y…. and if he does… z… I willllll…

Sigh. Summer romance used to be something I enjoyed. Three of my most significant relationships began as summer romances, including my marriage. Something about the freedom to be yourself in the summer that made it more intense. Did you have summer romances? How did they get started?

I'm very far behind in my work, so I'm going to end this now. I'll try to get back in the habit. Soon. I promise.

No comments: