Thursday, May 19, 2005

on the outside

I'm depending on water today. Not just water, Ozarka bottled water. The allergens are overwhelming today, so I gave in to the need to breathe and took the zyrtec my doctor scolds me for stopping at all. "You aren't in the Midwest anymore" she says. "The air is not good and the secondary infections are dangerous."ugh.

But it makes me tired, and thirsty, and vulnerable. None of those are conducive to functioning in modern society. Even virtual society.

I know I could avoid the symptoms of whatever it is in the air by staying indoors. Just going to my nice office, where the air conditioning and the hepa filters keep things clear… bur I can't. It is criminal to be indoors when the weather is nothing less than orgasmic. I know that is a silly use of that term, but its been stuck in my head for days and I had to type it out so it will move on…. Well. . maybe that is a little to Hemingway-esque itself.

Moving on.

A-word-a-day is focusing on eponyms this week. Monday's was Gresham's law, the theory that bad money drives good money out of circulation. The theory extrapolates to other areas as well; politics of course come to mind. Who in their right mind would run for office?

And writing. If one or two biographies of celebrities weren't making it to the shelves, those resources might be going to something memorable.

I'm waiting up for Tubby the cat to come back. I opened the door to call him inside, and he went out. I don't need more legless lizards or de-feathered birds in the living room. I do need his overstuffed cuddling. And for his sister, Buffy, to stop crying at the door. They only really miss each other when one is on the outside.

I guess I understand that, too.

No comments: